Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Cliff Jumping & Free Falling

I have experienced some pretty crazy and radical things in my life. I’ve gone places few feet have tread and had opportunities that others just dream about. I’ve rafted rivers, climbed towering mountains, and hiked into a communist village where no American had ever spent the night. But one adventurous thing I really do not like is jumping off cliffs. I’ve done it, but not without some significant motivation.

The first time might be the most memorable. I had a few days left in Hawaii and the friend that I was staying with decided we should spend some of my remaining hours jumping off a cliff into the ocean. The height has fluctuated through the years in the telling of the story from 30 to 50 feet. I honestly believe the distance from leap to impact was somewhere in the middle, but it was more than long enough to feel the adrenaline rush in my core and to think I was going to die.

My friend went first. He jumped. He splashed down. He swam back to the cliff and scrambled back up.

It was now my turn.

I crept over to the edge and looked down at the waves below. My stomach wasn’t impressed and it shouted strong survival signals to my brain that were much louder than the machismo messages from my pride. I stood there for a long time and then backed off. I knew that others had survived the jump. I had seen it with my own eyes, but it just wasn’t translating into desire.

I turned to my friend. “Tell you what. You jump again so I can watch you closely, once you surface in the water I’ll follow.”

He jumped. I watched. Fear gripped me and I stood my ground.

My friend tried to bribe me to jump, tried to soothe my fears, but when nothing else worked he found some words that pushed me off the edge. “That’s fine. We can go home now. I just need you to know that my mom has jumped from that spot and she’ll be waiting for us at the condo when we get back…”

I jumped and I survived to tell the tale.

I love adventure, but I also love to be safe. And having performed some funerals for some people that didn’t respect safety, I know how important it can be.

But sometimes in my life I’ve used safety as an excuse. I’ve avoided things that would make me uncomfortable. The truth is that I’ve been afraid.

I’ve been afraid to leave my job at the church. I’ve stood on the edge for awhile now, looking over the edge at what could easily be a ministry grave yard. I’ve seen some people dog paddle at the bottom in senseless circles after leaving their jobs. I’ve seen some drown in despair after taking an entrepreneurial risk. I saw my mother thrown from the ledge of her occupation by the bosses who no longer had any need of her.

I’ve relished the power, the prestige and the (limited) profit that the ministry has fed me, but it’s made me fat and lazy. It would be good to let go, but based on fear I just.cant.let.go…

But then the word came yesterday, I have become expendable. "Pick up your last check, and God Bless you."

Push.

Falling.

Fear and freedom all in one flight.

This bird is no one’s baby and the nest was no longer a fit. This is a good thing. A God thing.

I have not jumped in presumption. I know that Father won’t let me crash into the rocks.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's right - you won't land on the rocks! Continuing to pray for you!

Shell

sue hanauer said...

i think the hardest thing for my husband to do was "give up the ministry" for the sake of moving on in faith..."the ministry" IS a safe place who put their faith in IT...however, when we pray that "do whatever it takes to get me from here to You" prayer He seems to take us at his word...i think pastors particularly have a hard time letting go...we have seen many who gave up but are now back surrounded by the praises of their followers...see the letting go tends to lose those followers because those type of people NEED someone to follow...and if you "follow" the Lord instead of an institution most of them can't see beyond the walls like you do...there will be times when you will want to pick up where you left off and go back to what you know...and if you do that's ok, but Papa has so much more on the outside...where the real adventure is...you took a leap, felt the rush, climbed back up the rock and maybe did it again and again...but now leave the rock and find other adventure...don't stay on that one experience because there is so much more out there...
praying you find all Papa has for you...which will take an eternity...
sue in new mexico

Anonymous said...

it is painful when you find out that you are easily replacable! We had a friend who found his "sweet spot" after he was "let go". Sometimes the thing we feared the most is the thing that gives us true freedom. That was the case for my husband and me. I pray you find your sweet spot!!!